I do not usually write blogs about how to travel, but the information in here I found very useful. I can help you save a lot of time and money, as will as give you a full idea on what you can do in Merida and the surrounding area of Yucatán. I used this during my backpacking though Mexico in 2017. Enough of me talking, here we go;
- MERIDA: FREE WALKING TOUR FOR THE HISTORICAL CENTER from Monday to Sunday at 9:30 am. Departures from the tourist information center at the city hall (street 62 between 61/63). It lasts 1hour 15 minutes
- CELESTUN: Go to the terminal Noreste (street 50 between 65/67). The Trip takes 2:25 hour and cost $56 Pesos (One way) The boat ride cost up to $1,560 Pesos! So, we recommend us from a group in the hotel or in the bus with other tourist, this way you can negotiate a better price for the boat ride. The are two places to board the boat: One I located just after the bridge (at the entrance to celestun) and takes 1:30 with a cost of 195 pesos per person, and the second is on the beach (takes about 2 hours 30 mins, the cost is 250 pesos person). We recommend the last option. All day trip can take 8 hours and cost around 400 pesos per person.
- CENOTES HOMUN: You can take a colectivo (street 67/50) in front the Noreste bus station- departure each 30 minutes. price 30 pesos (One way). In Homun you can rent a moto taxi ($250 for 3 hours and Half) you have to pay the entrance fee in each cenote that you visit. In difference with Cuzama’s a Cenotes you can stay with time that you want in each of each (without spending more tie that the moto taxi service) Municipality cenotes: Have have cost of $30 private cenotes: the entrance has a cost of $35. CENOTES SABTA BARBARA: the trip cost 220 pesos per person, it’s included the visit of 3 cenotes, bicycle, life jacket and food (Main dish beverages not included) We recommend order a lemonade jar (1 liter) for $60. Cost around $300 per son. ALL day trip can take 5 hours.
- CENOTE SAN IGNACIO: The cenote is 8-meter underground Cave. Entrance is by a cement staircase and the water being clear is incredible. The cenote is in a town and named chochola, about 30 minutes out of Merida. Take the colectivo at san juan park on 69th street, between 62 & 64 (cost 25 pesos one-way trip). When you arrive in chochola go to the center of the town, there you will find bicycles taxi that will take you for $20 pesos. You can ask at the local people for the cenote. The entrance fee is around 100 pesos per person.
- RUTA PUUC: Colcetivo only on Sunday at 8:00am, departure TAME bus station (69 Street, between 68/70 cost $167 pesos), stopping for 30/45 minutes at the first 4 ruins, the last stop in Uxmal is for 2 hours. Return to Merida is at 4 pm. You Must pay the entrance in ach ruin and in total will cost you 370 pesos. The all-day trip takes 7 hours and cost around $80 pesos per person.
- UXMAL: Buses leave TAME station (street 69, between 68/70) (cost $69 pesos one way, departure: 6:00, 9:00, 12:30 and 16:00) Entrance is 230 pesos. If you are interested I the Light & Sound show at 8 pm (extra fee 86 pesos) it’s better go on our tour, because the last service to Merida is ta 18;20 hours and show ends at 20”45. If you still prefer to go on your own you may ask for a ride or else take a bus from nearby town and villages like Uman. If you are travelling to Campeche (3 extra hours) you may board the bus at the stop 500 mts from Uxmal. Cost per person is 380 pesos and All-day Trip takes 6 hours.
- CHICHEN ITZA: Take the 1st class bus at CAME terminal (Street 70 between 69/71) and will drops you at the parking area of Chichen Itza (1 hour 45 Minutes) Departures: 6:30, 8:15 and 9:15 (the price is around $150 pesos one-way trip). 2nd class bus at Oriente terminal (street 50 between 65/67), stop at Piste village, about 1km form Chichen. The roundtrip cost 140 pesos (2nd class) and takes 2 hour 30 minutes to get there. The entrance fee is 230 pesos. Ask at the front desk for bus schedules from chichen’s parking area on 1st class to Tulum, Cancun and Playa del Carmen. In Chinchen there is a designated area close to the toilets for safe-keeping your belongings free of charge. Consider at least 2 hours to see the entire site. To return to Merida in 1st class check in the parking area of Chichen (14:00 hour and 17:00 Hours) If travelling 2nd class or going to Merida Valladolid, Riviera Maya you must go to the town Piste and catch the Oriente bus which runs hourly. The Light and sound show is Tuesday to Saturday 441 pesos and Sunday 220 pesos. Cost per person $560 pesos and All-Day trip takes 7 hours.
- IZAMAL: a beautiful historical town all painted in yellow and with a great convent. Take the bus (street 67 between 50/52) departure frequently cost $28 pesos one way. It’s 1 hour 15 minutes driving from Merida. The light and sound show is Monday to Saturday at 8:30 pm. Cost around 180 pesos per Person and takes 5 hours.
- LOLTUN CAVES: it’s close to the city of Oxkutcab, take the colectivo at San Juan park (street 69, between 62/64). The guided visit takes 1 hour 30 minutes, and the schedules are 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00 every day. The entrance cost is $140 pesos Per person.
- DZIBILCHALTUN: Ruins with observatory, sinkhole, and museum, Entrance cost: 130 pesos. The Colectivo to Chablekal village will stop 300 mts of Dzibilchaltun. Departures: street 58 between 57/59. Cost around 180 pesos per person and takes 4 hours.
- PROGRESO: A beautiful beach 25 minutes ride from Merida, there are good seafood restuarants. Buses run every 20 minutes (street 62 between 65& 67) round trip $35 pesos. When you come came the bus can stop front of Nomadas Hostel.
- UAYMITUN & XCAMBO: To go to “Mirado de los Flamigos” take a bus in Progreso to go Chicxulub (where the meteorite fell during the dinosaur life 65 million years ago) Admittance at Mirador de los Flamingos en Uaymitun is free and binoculars can be rented for 20 pesos. Close by is Xcambo a small archaeological zone. Fee entrance 90 pesos per person. All-Day trip takes 6 hours.
- HOLBOX ISLAND: Take a Bus at Tame station at 23:30 (street 69 & 68/70) cost $220. In the morning, there’s other at 10:15 am at Oriente Station on (67/50 street) (Not service during September to October) cost $190 pesos. You’ve take a ferry $180 pesos roundtrip per person at chiquila island to go Holbox is a great place to visit during summer time, you can see the whale shark!
- CAMPECHE: a beautiful colonial city only a two hours and half from Merida city. Take a bus at the CAME terminal (street 70 between 69/71) cost around 230 pesos on way. Visit the forts of San Miguel and San Jose is a Must!
- BELICE: ferry service that leaves out of Chetumal at 15:00 to Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker. The price is 900 pesos one-way and 1710 pesos round trip. http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/
Great blog thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for the great info 🙂 . I love your blog style and itinerary you have. Please do more itinerary for other countries. I always use your itinerary when i go traveling. Love Lura 🙂
That is amazing, Thank You 🙂
Amazing, Life saver thanks a lot for sharing it 🙂